The main focus of a Special Needs Assistant specializing in Autism is to provide care to children who are diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. The Special Needs Assistant may perform many of the same duties of a Nanny or Governess, with the ability to manage behavioral and educational issues that arise with Autism. They may provide a variety of domestic duties and child care as well as providing support as the child works with therapists and teachers.
We are able to aid in the placement of Special Needs Assistants specializing in Autism that have certifications that include, but are not limited to Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), Certified Home Health Aide (CHHA), Autism ABA Certification, BCBA (Board Certified Behavior Analyst), CPR, First-Aid certification, degree in special education, social work, psychology or child and family development.
While responsibilities are to be determined by you and your Special Needs Assistant they often include some combination of the following:
- Providing hands-on recreational activities
- Assisting with meal preparation
- Assisting with a variety of household chores
- Transporting children to various activities and provide on-going support
- Transporting children to doctor’s and other therapy appointments
- General caregiving that can include bathing and feeding
- Administering medications
- Helping with school work
- Running errands
- Organize schedules coordinating with other household members
- Ascertaining the cause of any behavior problems and devise a solution to resolve them
- Carrying out special requests as needed