The main responsibilities of a Household Chef include focusing on anything kitchen and food related in a family household. The Chef is a trained professional from a culinary institution and usually handles all meals for the family, as well as any staff, and organizes clean-up of the kitchen. He or she is dedicated to all of the culinary needs of the home. They must develop an avid awareness of their employers’ needs including their likes and dislikes of food as well as any special dietary requirements.
Europa Domestics are able to aid in the placement of Chefs with certifications that include, but are not limited to, certification through a formal culinary program and certifications on safety, sanitation, food preparation and nutrition, as well as one or more of the 14 different certification designations offered through the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
While the exact responsibilities will be determined by you and the Household Chef, they can often include some combination of the following:
- Menu planning and preparation of nutritious meals, specifically suited to an individual’s food preference or special dietary need
- The ability to provide various styles of table service as well as party protocol
- Food inventory and grocery shopping
- Shopping carefully in order to choose the highest quality products
- Manage the kitchen to assure efficiency, cleanliness and cost effectiveness
- Directing the organization and operation of the kitchen
- Presentation and as well as the serving of food
- Preparing a range of menus from family dinners to extensive multi-course meals for formal events that may include holidays, parties and other functions